Friday, December 2, 2011

Custom Drag Racer Kawasaki ZX-10R

2004 Kawasaki ZX 10R Left Side

Drinking and riding is never a good idea. But when the daytime ends and the bikes are locked up for the night, a different breed of biker comes out. Daytona's "Dog House" Dave Ankin is no stranger to custom bikes or late nights benders.
As the former owner of numerous bars across the country, Dave is quite familiar with after hours entertainment. "I owned 16 different bars and sold them. But I've always been into all kinds of motorcycles."

When Dave's not pouring drinks he's beating on his 2004 ZX-10R. "I started with an old ZX-10R. I had sold it to a customer and he ended up crashing it. I got it back and took it to Jon at Myrtle West to help me finish it. I wanted to build a bike that wasn't for show and didn't need to be trailered. I wanted a bike that I could ride hard, side-step the clutch and be so crazy that people wouldn't believe that it was my daily driver."
2004 Kawasaki ZX 10R Left Side
2004 Kawasaki ZX 10R Tank Detail
2004 Kawasaki ZX 10R Brake Line
Once in the capable hands of the Myrtle West crew, the big Ninja got the custom catalog thrown at it including several one-off parts. While Jon is a fan of function, many of the parts were made purely for aesthetic reasons. The dual bracing and turned down ends on the swingarm add little to rigidity but match the contrast cut wheels. Dual nitrous bottles in the gas tank have roots in the chopper market but look right at home on this 10. "The only problem with the smaller bottles is that I keep running out of nitrous when I ride!"
Dave lives life like he rides his bike; WFO. His ZX-10R withstands his abuse and never wakes up hung over. If only the same could be said for old Dave.
2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Front end: 18-inch Myrtle West wheel "#7"
Rear end: Myrtle West 360: 18-inch Myrtle West wheel "#7", strut
Motor: MPS Racing wet fogger nitrous system, open header
Paint: Designed by Adam Canni, painted by Jimmy Jackson
Bodywork: Alex Tucker, tank by Ryan Smalls Myrtle West
Accessories: Tons of one-off parts by Myrtle West, Vortex rearsets, clip-ons and sprocket, Master Lugo seat
Owner: David Ankin
Builder: David Ankin, Jon Martin at Myrtle West

0 comments:

Post a Comment