Saturday, May 5, 2012

Amazing Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha motoGP portugal 2012

Amazing Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha motoGP portugal 2012



Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha came tantalizingly close to becoming the first British rider in 12 years to claim a MotoGP rostrum after a titanic battle with home favorite Dani Pedrosa in Jerez. 

The Coventry rider produced the best performance of his MotoGP career in the 27-lap race to finish just 0.4s behind Repsol Honda rider Pedrosa. 

Crutchlow had shadowed the Spaniard for 19 laps, exerting immense pressure on the triple world champion to try and secure Britain’s first premier class podium since Jeremy McWilliams finished third in the 2000 British Grand Prix at Donington Park. 

But Pedrosa, who had never finished outside of the top two at Jerez in his MotoGP career, produced a brilliant display to hold off Crutchlow, taking the third spot behind teammate Casey Stoner and factory Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo. 

Crutchlow set the fastest lap of the race with a 1.40.019 and was only 2.4s behind Stoner to register his third successive fourth place. 

Crutchlow paid tribute to Pedrosa after his error free ride didn’t present the former World Supersport champion with a single overtaking opportunity. 

“I can take a lot of confidence from running the pace of Jorge and Casey but I think if I wasn’t with Dani I probably would have been a bit slower,” said Crutchlow. “He was bringing me up to those guys but you have to be in it to win it. There’s no doubt about it but he is phenomenally fast round here, so to be that close I am really happy. I did 20 laps under my qualifying time and I had the fastest lap of the race so I can’t really ask for much more. Well, I could have asked for a podium but it is not that easy but we have proved we can mix it at the front and be close to the leaders. I thought I’d be further back because I don’t like this track at all. With Dani it was the big elastic band effect where I’d close in the corner and round the corner and he would pull away coming out. We know the drive of the Honda is better than our bike but we also know that Dani is 20kg lighter than me. That’s not just me. It happens to everyone with Dani. It was difficult but I learned a lot riding wise. His experience paid off. There is only so much you can do with our package as well. Don’t forget we are a couple of steps down from the factory guys and the Honda is a factory bike, so to be up there and be that close I’m happy enough.” 

Stoner, Lorenzo and Pedrosa all hailed Crutchlow’s ride after the race and complimented on his rise to prominence after a tough rookie campaign in 2011 on Yamaha’s 800cc machine. 

Flattering it might be but Crutchlow said: “I don’t care so much about this at the moment. The thing for me is that Yamaha knows the package I have and it is not the same as the factory team and if I can carry on doing my job then maybe I can have a podium soon. I’m not thinking about this. If 10th is my 100% best and I am happy with my riding then cool.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment